I love the Prayer of Jabez! I like saying in the plural form for all of humanity!

 

I love the Prayer of Jabez! I read this book several years ago. It comes from the Bible. The prayer goes like this:

"Jabez cried out  to the God of Isreal , 'Oh that you would bless me indeed and enlarge  my territory!  Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.'" 1 Chronicle 4:10 

The book by Bruce Wilkinson and the prayer are both wonderful messages to keep in mind that it is fine to ask God for His favor on us and to give us His blessings and have Him guide us and keep us from the pain of this world. I actually like to say this prayer in the plural format so that it is not just for me, but for all people, all of humanity. I think we can say the prayer singularly, but I think personally we should consider saying it plurally as humans as follows:

“And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying,

'Oh, that You would bless us indeed,

And enlarge our territories,

that Your hand would be with us all as your children,

and that You would keep us from evil,

that we may not cause pain to each other!'"

-From 1 Chronicles 4:10

Please feel free to read that little book on Jabez; I thought the prayer was beautifully explained in the book.  The first thing mentioned is “you would bless me indeed.” As explained in the book, God wants to give us all many blessings; all we need to do is ask him for them.  When Jabez says “enlarge my territory,” he means enlarge my territory to do thy work of the Lord; I think this is beautiful. The rest is more self-explanatory; that the Lord’s hand be with you always and keep one from evil and that you may not cause pain to other people. Jabez was very humble in his prayer, as explained in the book.   I think you would really like the book; I hope you like the Prayer of Jabez and consider saying the plural version for ALL of US.   By the way, Jabez was the name of my father’s great grandfather, my great great grandfather; he came from East Sussex, England. There is a town there named Furner’s Green.  My friend, Robin, took me there when I went to England a few years back. Can we all be miracles workers and say the Prayer of Jabez for all of humanity? 


Furner's Green, East Sussex, England


Comments