Blessed to Be Part of the Teaching Profession for 35 Years!

 


“What office is there which involves more responsibility, which requires more 
qualifications, and which ought, therefore, to be more honorable than teaching?"

 ― Harriet Martineau

What a powerful quote about teaching! I agree whole heartedly! I have been a teacher now for 35 years! I started after studying to be a teacher at SUNY Oneonta graduating in 1987. I worked as a math, science, and health teacher at a Catholic school in Ilion, New York my first year. I have been teaching ever since. Now the past 26 years as a professor at my university where I work in teacher education preparing future teachers. I love it!  What a journey! I have learned so much about children, learners, young people, how to teach mathematics, people who want to be teachers, administrators, the whole gamete of education nursery school through college! It has been a true blessing to be a teacher! The wonder of children! The light bulbs coming on and the curiosity of young minds! The excitement of young people studying to pursue a dream of having their own classroom of children and helping them learn. Teaching people to be good citizens and to make a difference in this world we live in. Teaching really is a noble profession! I was blessed too to be able to go overseas and teach in Mexico City and Bogota Colombia for several years. I learned so much about students and other cultures as well. As a teacher, you can go anywhere in the world and teach. We need good teachers. Over the years, the teaching profession has gotten a bad rap, many no longer want to pursue a career in teaching, however, we need to do it for our children, for humanity and the future of our country and world. Young people need good teachers who can make a difference in the lives of others with their love and passion. Teachers today are some of the most important leaders we have to save humanity. Teachers can be a blessing to others, a miracle for all, and we need to value and honor them more as they are truly gifts from God for all of humanity! 

























Comments