Vanity, ego, popularity, power, narcissism-they are all just insecurities, illusions, often leading to bad behavior and manners!

 


Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
— Philosopher Soren Kierkegaard

Vanity, ego, popularity, power, narcissism-they are all just insecurities, illusions, often leading to bad behavior and manners!  I have noticed over the years more of the issues with ego. I have seen a lot of vain people, they seek popularity, power and become narcissists, consumed by their own egos. I saw a lot of it at the university for almost 30 years, professors can be very vain, thinking they are above all, better, know all, and are the only ones who are right. So many today do not like successful people, they are insecure by it. We have seen that with President Trump and Elon Musk. I know I felt and saw it a lot at the university. I published a lot so many papers, and go many teaching awards, others were jealous, envious, and insecure, they feed their egos with their success and let ego take over. Recently I noticed another dynamic about high school reunions and Facebook. Facebook almost seems like a popularity context too.  It is never good to go back to okay so to speak. I was shy in school, K-12, I was a late bloomer, and never tried in school, I got C's and some B's and A's, but mostly didn't try and just did mediocre. I was shy and not a jock, a nerd, or popular at all. I honestly didn't care or have a passion or a lot of guidance then. I was misguided by teachers and counselors, and they never really gave me any good advice about if I wanted to go to college. I took two years of drafting and architecture, which I loved and did well in. I was never told to go to college, nor thought about it, no one in my family ever had. People who were socially active in school — such as student leaders or club members — show a higher attendance rate for class reunions according to research. Strong past engagement often predicts stronger future ties to high school, I really didn't have that. I went to my 10 year reunion with my sister, we graduated together from high school as she was held back on year. When we went I was teaching in Mexico City, Mexico, I came a far distance. Ironically, they gave a prize for the person who came the farthest to someone who never even graduated in our class, he failed and was held back, was living in Florida, but they gave him the prize, not me, although Mexico City is much farther than Florida. I never said anything. I noticed a lot this time for our 45th, if I was in NY, I may have gone, but it is a lot of money to travel and go to something like this and I really do not know the people anymore. I was not interested in the competition or saying all I did or comparing myself to others, it is not needed now.  I really never stayed in touch with all from high school, so many years have passed. I did send a lot of photos to a classmate to share since I do not do Facebook, but she never bothered to write back or say think you, I guess she was too popular to be bothered thanking me.  She emailed me to my work email at my university, so she knows I was a university professor and now have Professor Emeritus status. I think it made her insecure, all my success, I was a late bloomer in grade school, but in life have done so much, it goes a long with the first will be last and the last will be first, that is what happened to me. I have done so much. I recall for our 30th, we were planning on going, but my mother passed away, we didn't go, but I had emailed the other old class president, but she also never bothered to write me back. I think it is all insecurities. They were both popular back then, that is why they attend these things, they need them to feed their ego, they are vain, full of power, thriving for that popularity, somewhat of narcissists. Really, just insecure. Too, another aspect is that many believe that these events are less about reconnecting and more about showcasing achievements, leading to potential feelings of inadequacy or envy. I have concluded that so much of this is really insecurity. I do not need my ego stroked. Try not to be vain, do not care about power or popularity. Never did. I honestly do not like insecure people, I do not like being around them, I like when people are confident in themselves and vanity is not at all healthy. It leads to bad behavior, to bad manners. I saw that here. I worked with a few people like this too, they let their insecurities to take hold, are vain, and become jealous, envious, and ultimately show bad behavior and are rude and have no manners, I have seen it a lot, it can lead to hate, envy, and jealousy. Sometimes I think it is best not to feed egos, keep the past in the past, and learn from people, some people never change in 50+ years, some stay the same, still trying to be popular. Others follow Jesus, don't become consumed by the illusion of power, popularity, success, and need it to feed their egos and become vain. Jesus helps so much, we just see so many today without any God, Jesus, the Bible, they live for things of this world, trying to impress, get applause, have recognition, and be popular all their lives, but never find real happiness or peace. We just need the right mindset. I think Jesus gives you confidence and helps to remove ego! Jesus grounds me! 












































Here is a good Bible Verse on vanity:

Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth,
vanity of vanities!  All things are vanity!
What profit has man from all the labor
which he toils at under the sun?
One generation passes and another comes,
but the world forever stays.
The sun rises and the sun goes down;
then it presses on to the place where it rises.
Blowing now toward the south, then toward the north,
the wind turns again and again, resuming its rounds.
All rivers go to the sea,
yet never does the sea become full.
To the place where they go,
the rivers keep on going.
All speech is labored;
there is nothing one can say.
The eye is not satisfied with seeing
nor is the ear satisfied with hearing.

What has been, that will be;
what has been done, that will be done.
Nothing is new under the sun.
Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!”
has already existed in the ages that preceded us.
There is no remembrance of the men of old;
nor of those to come will there be any remembrance
among those who come after them.





Comments

Popular Posts